Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Metaphors in the Mountains

While the buzz of 10-Day is winding down, here is one of the many amazing experiences from the trip that has not quite settled. The guides are all talking about this "miracle" they witnessed. Miracle is the only way they could describe such an unreal phenomenon. They all passed around pictures from all different angles and proximities. Evan Blalock, the Sea Kayak Operations Manager this summer, saw a metaphor in the beauty of this "miracle".   


The idea of “home” has been something that I’ve contemplated often since the beginning of my time with Beyond Malibu. In the spring of 2012 I felt the tugging of a great adventure pulling me far from my native land of Arkansas. I felt sure that the beauty of the mountains and the sea awaiting me would far surpass my imagination. I felt sure that I would walk close with my God there. There is no doubt that the scenery has been far grander than I could have dreamed and that I’ve walked closer with Jesus than ever before in my young life. Like many, though, who have explored far and wide, I’ve begun to feel a yearning for a sense of rootedness; of belonging; of home. 
This summer I’ve returned to serve in leadership with Beyond’s sea kayaking program, but I jumped at the opportunity to head up the inlet for Mountain 10-Day training. Mid-week at Contact Lakes we gazed upon this amazing, yet perplexing site that called to mind another story of a forgotten home and the longing that its absence has created in the hearts of mankind. 
The withered tree in the middle of the circle reminds me of the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 3), misused in man’s sinfulness to bring death and pain into this world. The perfect circle was our perfect home of Eden, our perfect dwelling with God, and a oneness that was lost to Adam and Eve. I imagine the pain and longing they felt as they tried to make sense of what had happened and
                                                                                     wandered from Eden in                                                                                                  consequence of their rebellion.

Where I find great joy in this photo is in what lies outside of “Eden”. The cracks emanating from the circle looked much like a fruitful tree or, more pointedly, an abundant vine. It seemed to represent the Way that was graciously forged by the blood of Christ for all believers; another chance at oneness with God; a chance to have an abiding home once again in the True Vine, Jesus (John 15).


I’d be foolish to think that I’ve interpreted this incredible sight that we were blessed with, but I can say that it has had a great impact on me. The Lord used it to remind me of my rootedness in Christ and the joy of that abiding relationship we offer here at Beyond to all who are thirsty for their lost home with Yahweh. 
Evan Blalock

1 comment:

Jamie Imus said...

Evan, spot on. I'm diggin' your interpretation.