Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Ebb and Flow

Similar to a summer staff coordinator at a Young Life resident camp, Beyond Malibu has the opportunity to have people come and be on assignment at Base Camp. These individuals join into the community life with staff and help to nurture relationships with Christ and each other. Having people on assignment creates a steady presence in the midst of changing schedules and rotating guide staff. With this being said, I would like to introduce to you the Wright family. They come from Davis, California and have a strong investment in the Beyond Malibu way of life and community. 

Erica Wright with her husband Alex and their daughters
“What does the Lord require?” This is a question that plays in the back-ground of my mind once in awhile, usually when I have a quiet moment. Those quiet moments, however, don’t happen very often. As a Beyond alumni, a mother of two small girls, a wife, and a career person, I often work at maximum capacity just to keep pace with the day. To change from this fast paced lifestyle for a few weeks or even days is a rare experience. In contemplating what our family’s summer would look like, my husband and I chose to come back to the inlet to serve as “base camp family” for a few weeks, with hopes of reorienting ourselves to the rhythm of the Beyond community.

Just as the tide regularly draws water back to the inlet, so God’s spirit again brings myself and my family back to Beyond. We are fortunate to actually tread on the ground here when so many alumni only dream of it. Our family came to participate in community, serve those on staff who continually pour their energy into making this unique Young Life property run, as well as to bring to life for our children the beauty of God’s creation, both in nature and in His people.

When I was a guide, we had two base camp families, the Duykers and the Hardins. My years guiding coincided with Rob and Laurie Duyker having their third child, Ben. The Duyker boys and the Hardin kids were a source of great fun, entertainment and companionship. Laurie Duyker and Mary Hardin did double duty watching over the little (and not so little) ones, while investing in the lives of base camp and guide staff alike. Never would I have imagined that I would be back at Beyond with my own girls, 4-years-old Karis and Sophie-20 months, having the privilege of connecting with and praying for the staff in the same way as was displayed to me 14 years ago.


The tide flows in and the tide flows out. Those who choose Beyond choose to be shaped by God’s grace and love. They leave this place different because they have been on holy ground in the midst of a community that celebrates God’s mighty power to save and to transform. As my kids make crayon drawings and create butterflies out of the used TP rolls from the BIFFs (bathroom in forest floor), I am reminded that transformation is not a one-way street, but rather a give and take, similar to the tide that raises and lowers the dock. “What does the Lord require?” Beyond reminds me of my answer: be available to others, serve freely, be an investor in people, all the while allowing others to do those same things with me. Doing such allows me to participate in the transformational work I know God is doing in these mountains. Like the ever-present tide, God’s work is constant in this place and I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of His work here at this time and, hopefully, again some time in the future.  
Erica Wright



 Video Credit: Brandon Sawaya




No comments: