Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Men's Beyond Trip



Dear Beyond,
I want to let you know what a blessing it was to have had the opportunity to live the
adventure (physical,emotional and especially spiritual) that Beyond Malibu provides. I must say it was the most wonderful and challenging thing that I have ever experienced and I continue to live my life well out of it this week. I felt so well taken care of, from the time we approached the dock to the send off at the very same dock... so please forward my appreciation to all the wonderful folks at Beyond. I met Deon & Dave this morning in the coffee shop and they are also in the same good shape as me - still in awe of our adventure and our God.

My Dear Guides Matty & Ryan,
I don't know where I can even start, to let you know what is on my heart for you both for the time we spent together, but let me start with gratitude. I went up the mountain a tired middle-aging man...worrying about my future , my head and heart choked closed with complaint, judgement and opinion. I came down the mountain, a child of God, with a spring in my step - a heart that can weep just looking at God's perfect beauty in each and every person I meet, a heart of lion - that has strength, power and purpose - the gift of song returning to my every waking moment - praising God with abandon.
So thank you ..
I admire you. I have been around a lot of great young people but I must confess - I still found you both extraordinary. Extraordinary in your willingness to be totally vunerable with us
and share your lives - the strengths and the wounds. Extraordinary in your leadership - it's not always easy for young men to lead older men - but you did it with such grace and humility - how could we not follow you anywhere - not matter how terrified or tired we were. Extraordinary in your servitude, I have never felt more taken care of, - yet not babied - never forgotten or overlooked - always included and yet still made to feel special and unique at the same time.
So thank you ...
I appreciate you. You made a team, right from the start, disciplined and taught to love,care for
and respect each other as peers and as men. I grew to love the fact that we didn't take our packs off unless we did it together, I loved the fact that we either all made the summit or none of us did. I love how we worked as a team - up to the top and back to the bottom - we will never be the same again, when we meet in church or in the community our eyes will search out that place where we are brothers in arms.. and it can't be ignored. I loved our "alone" time, our story time, our prayer time ...I couldn't get enough and it's got me praying more in the moment than ever... I loved being awoken by the sound of Ryan reading a Psalm .. I loved our singing and joking and praising ... loved our time with God , who most definitely joined us on the mountain and has most definitely followed us home. So far I have met David, and Deon today for coffee and they too are transformed, and our junior pastor called me today as Tom's wife just can't believe
his heart change... I look forward to meeting up with James and Blair tomorrow... and Dave and I will be praising God with our Men of Faith worship team tomorrow - and I can't but think ..that our spirits will be blessed from our adventure. Last and by no means least.... I need to tell you that I love you both very much, you are very different yet in many ways the same.. (I think God makes us like that) - but you complement each other so well and also seem to love each other...and that's the most important ingredient to the wonderful "two cup" meal that God made for us. You are easy to love and that too softened my heart. I'm proud of you both and only know that somewhere between here and eternity we will be praising God together again on a marvelous adventure.


Bill Trip participant.

No comments: