Monday, July 23, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Food Packer


By Meredith LeVan

As the sun shines brightly through the windowsills of the pack shack I receive a pack sheet of the upcoming week’s food needs. A smile spreads across my face as I think about all the campers I will be reaching. My daily routine includes packing breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for the campers. It is a very routine job, but I love putting on some music and getting together all the meals that are going to nourish the bodies of campers. When I was heading to Beyond I knew that it was in God’s plans for me to be challenged this summer but I didn’t know how. God has challenged me so much just in a small little pack shack. I have been able to become more confident as a leader and individual and working in the Pack Shack has even helped my organization skills. I also have been challenged in the way I connect with campers. Usually on Summer Staff, we get to interact with the campers a lot, but here my job is more behind the scenes. This has taught me how Christ wants us to work and serve. It only matters that He see’s our hard work and being a food packer has really shown me that. It is so special to see the participants’ faces on a Sunday morning as they are about to go meet Jesus in the mountains! I never realized how excited that would make me. One of the most special moments I’ve had as a food packer was just last week when a girl from one of the trips ran up to me and gave me a huge hug thanking me for all of my work! That was totally Jesus showing me the fruits of my work and it made me feel so special!

No comments: