Tuesday, May 17, 2011

All-Staff Weekend

We are flying through training season this year. Two weeks ago we had our all-staff training weekend in Anacortes. It was a blast. We e-mailed our new Female Base Camp Coordinator Robyn Zachry to get her take on the weekend. Here is her response. Check out our Staff Profiles page to read up on the rest of this summer's crew.

Howdy! I’m Robyn Zachry from Midland, Texas. I’m 21 years old and I’m heading into my senior at Texas A&M University as an Education major. I’m also a Young Life leader at Bryan High School.

As a Young Life leader, I have always heard about Beyond Malibu, but have never really given it much thought. Then earlier this Spring, a local YL staff person called me up out of the blue and told me that he had recommended my name to work at Beyond and I might be getting a call soon. Sure enough, a few days later, Holly called me and said that I should apply. I thought about it and realized this is a once in a lifetime chance for me to do something like this. It would be silly for me to pass up this sudden opportunity.

So I sent in my application for Female Base Camp Coordinator. Someone asked me “why that position,” and honestly the requirement 21 and up just caught my eye. I thought “Oh, I’m 21! I can do that for sure!” I saw that it is a leadership position and just felt the Lord tell me, “Ok Robyn, it’s time to step it up. Do you trust me?” So, I went for it! I did not have a clue where I was headed or what I was going to be doing. I had never been to Beyond before, so applying for FBBC was just me trusting the Lord. He is so faithful and good all of the time, through any circumstance, so I trust that He has a perfect plan to carry out at Beyond.

Before the first training weekend, I was definitely nervous about going to the opposite side of the United States, into an already close-knit world not knowing a soul! Not going to lie, I may or may not have Facebook creeped on the names that were on the Yammer website and memorized the pictures off of the Beyond Blog. Don’t judge! I was definitely intimidated because it looked like everyone could step out of their back yard and climb a mountain. In Texas, you have to drive hours to reach even a small foothill. I probably emailed Holly 5 different times leading into the weekend. But again, I heard the Lord say, “Robyn, do you trust Me? I promise that I am sovereign.” So I got on a plane headed to Seattle. When I stepped off of I met my first friend, Mercedes. I am so thankful for her! She calmed so many of my fears and brought peace to my frantic and scatter-brained mind. The training weekend was great. I instantly fell in love with all of the people there, and I was welcomed with open arms. Everyone was so encouraging and assured me that it is going to be a wonderful, Christ-filled summer.

The hardest part of the weekend was getting my job description. Before the weekend, I was nervous about the unknown. Now I am nervous about the known! The job is definitely way bigger than what my strength can handle. The FBBC position is overwhelming, and I am anxious because I know how inadequate I am for the job ahead of me. There is absolutely no possible way, depending upon my own strength, that I can do any of it well. But this word from my devotions the other morning has really encouraged me,"I am a mighty God. Nothing is too difficult for Me. I have chosen to use weak ones like you to accomplish My purposes. Your weakness is designed to open you up to My Power. Therefore, do not fear your limitations or measure the day’s demands against your strength." The Lord is so gracious to me. He will give me the strength I need for every moment of every day. I had a great training weekend, and because of God's promise, I know I will have a great summer too.

Despite my anxiety about the position, I am really looking forward to encountering the Lord in a way that I never have before. The verses that He has put on my heart the past few weeks are Hosea 2:14, 19-20.“Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the wilderness and speak tenderly to her…” Reading that fires me up! I can’t wait to go to the wilderness and listen to the Lord speak tenderly to my soul! My greatest desire is to serve and love on others unto the Lord. He is sending me to Beyond for a reason and I pray that I can be a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing in His sight.

No comments: