Monday, December 7, 2009

Breaking Walls

By Tyler Thralls, Guide 2008-2009


It was my third trip of the summer and I was excited to go with a leader, Ernie Fraser, who has brought trips to Beyond for the last ten years. Right away he told my guide partners and me that life stories took high priority on his trips and would be told and listened to even if we had to forfeit “making it to the summit.” I liked the sound of this from the start.


This trip consisted of three families who were ready to jump into an adventure together. Most folks had never told their life story before, and by the end of the week, I was struck by the incredible depth of love dwelling in each person, much like God’s love for us. God’s love was felt tangibly and everyone walked away from the trip closer to each other and closer to God.


In the wilderness and Beyond context, the walls we have created in previous relationships are quickly broken down, which leaves room for hearts to be touched and impacted by the Holy Spirit and by others on the trip. It is a phenomenal and extremely unique experience for anyone willing to embrace the adventure and live life to the fullest.


From our guide manual:

“On Walls”

-By Mike Wolford


Everybody has them.

It is said that people are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.

I have walls. What do they look like?

They are high, but thin; strong, yet brittle;

And they are transparent. Why are they there?

To keep from being hurt.

But my walls are vulnerable;

Not to a bulldozer or a bazooka or a hand grenade or a hammer.

My walls want to crumble; they will crumble.

At the touch of someone who cares enough to gently knock.

Once the walls have been penetrated, treat the stuff inside with tenderness and care;

For not many have ever been where you are and not many may ever follow.

For your time inside my walls will determine if

And how my walls will be built again.

No comments: