Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"anticipation"


Its hard to believe that training weekends are in full swing, and another summer at Beyond is hurdling towards us at what feels like light speed. I can feel the butterflies in my stomach coming to life as this season of preparation takes over the majority of my thoughts and daily agenda. I am told that the anticipation of an experience, as well as its memory hold just as much value as the experience itself, and as I think through my season at Beyond last year, and anticipate the months to come, my nerves are overruled by gratitude and grateful expectation. A few weeks ago I shared honestly with the returning staff my sense of dread over the challenges ahead, of inadequacy for the task, of fear and even of faithlessness. But how easily I forget that when surrendered, these are the mountains tops that God speaks from, the mountain tops from which He shouts out His adequacy and His faithfulness. I am excited to be returning to Beyond. There is a privilege to responsibility and I feel like I am standing before a burning mountain of potential - waiting, expecting, hoping to be a part of the great work God will do in the hearts of people. Today as I studied my topo and visualized the routes it was hard not to be giddy with anticipation; hard not to tremble at the reality of risk in all its forms.I so look forward to the beauty of Beyond. I look forward to the physical hard work of it, as well as the hard work of honesty, community, simplicity. I look forward to taking a few more teetering steps in the direction of authentic relationship, and towards a belief that God really does love us - a lot!

No comments: